Jun 22, 2013

Relay Friday (on saturday)

I planned to post my Friday update yesterday, but then because we were having a 'community blitz' today I decided to wait so I could report results!

Today my staff partner and I set up a table outside of Walgreens in town. We had hoped more people could join us and split some shifts but the date just didn't work for other teams and we didn't want to push it back further. Hopefully we can get another blitz planned soon on a better date. Summertime is hard!

But - we had a successful blitz! I was excited leading up to it and then once I got there I had a panic moment of 'what if no one wants to look our way? What if we try to tell people about relay and they walk by like we're those people at the malls with the sea salt scrub from the Dead Sea?' (Oh come on - you know that salt scrub - you've ignored them too...) but, my confidence was renewed quickly because in the first 45 minutes we had 2 survivors sign up and one team! A woman literally jumped out of her car and ran to our table and said 'tell me when relay is! Where is it? When is it? I have to be there!' Her enthusiasm was almost overwhelming, but that's awesome!!! She is a cancer survivor and signed up to create a team. 

The interest in our table had a lull for a little bit. Luckily Jiana and I had plenty of entertainment in our new friend Mike. I wish I could tell you all the things we learned from mike - that may make a good post on another day, if I feel like being slightly politically in-correct, but I don't want to take too much away from relay here. So - ill just say Mike was an interesting character who loved to take breaks from his job holding a sign on the corner...and he spent quite a few breaks talking our ears off.

Then, just before we packed up shop, we had one more interested party. He told us his wife is currently fighting breast cancer and would love to sign up as a survivor. And he also wants to form a team! 

So - that makes it 3 survivors and 2 teams for the quick community blitz. As a comparison, last year our relay had 4 (but really 3) teams and 4 survivors. Now we are up to 12 teams (assuming our last visitor does sign up). I'm BEYOND excited. I'm so stoked to get out there with more relayers and blitz again. Maybe target? Costco? Car dealerships? Maybe all of the above. I'm EXCITED!!!

Thanks for sticking with me through my relay journey. Even if all you're doing is reading my blog and cheering on my excitement, the support is wonderful. Having the blog in which I can express my excitement is wonderful! And as always - ill include our website just in case you want to donate money or just keep track of how we're doing :) two months will fly by and then I hope to be reporting back to you that thanks to our community and your help we exceeded our goals and had a wonderful relay!

 www.relayforlife.org/seasideca


No comments:

Post a Comment