Aug 3, 2013

And that's how it starts

I thought I'd be one and done. Who needs to run more than one half marathon in their life? And I certainly don't think I'm nuts enough for a full, so one and done I thought. I'd move on to other mud runs or obstacle courses or just be able to close this little chapter of my book.

But then it got me. That runner bug.

Today was the half marathon I wrote about a few months ago and all in all I'd say it went well. Of course, not as well as i'd want.  3 weeks ago we ran 10 miles in our training regime and it felt good - I was sure with 3 more weeks of my training I'd finish right where I wanted. 1:57 was my goal.

Then two days after our 10 mile run I ran 5 and hurt my heel. I'm not really sure how, I just know it started about half an hour after the run and by the next day I could barely make it down the stairs. I iced it, elevated it, took over a week off running - I was following all the rules. When I thought I was better I made an effort for 5 miles which turned into 2 miles and was excruciating. I took another week off and Thursday did a light 3 miles. So - between the 5 mile injury day and today's run I ran a total of 5 miles. Not a great finish to my plan.

The run started out great. 7 miles slightly ahead of my goal pace - felt good! Then the heel pain creeped its way in and I struggled from miles 8 til the end. But no sight ever looked better than seeing William on Austin's shoulders cheering for me at the end. I finished with a time of 2:05 so only 8 minutes over, but 8 minutes is a lot. I was really disappointed and as I struggled to walk through the spectator group I said 'ok, in November I'll do better at the big sur marathon in Monterey' 

Did I really just say that?!?! Yes, yes I did.

After the race We had wine, got a wine glass and our medals double as a wine stopper. Then we went out for brunch an mimosas to dull the pain. So it ended nicely! Just have to figure a way to make those last 5 miles less gruesome.

Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment