Aug 2, 2013

Relay: Remember

I promised I'd re-write my relay post in Chicago but my trip just ended up being too busy and too fun!  I didn't want to take time away from my family to write - time was too precious.  Hope you don't mind :)

I've spent the past few months updating you on Relay plans and progress.  As it has grown I have gotten busier juggling responsibilties and roles - and have really enjoyed the opportunity to organize the event (Read: tell people what to do).  But amid all of the coordinating and logistics, the root of why I relay hasn't changed: my dad.

My favorite part of relay is the chance it gives me to remember and honor my dad.  The theme CELEBRATE. REMEMBER. FIGHT BACK really allows me to honor him in a well rounded way, but the one closest to my heart is the remembrance.  I can remember my dad daily, and often do, but it's a blessing to have a time dedicated 100% to his memory.  As I've mentioned before, sometimes I have a guilty feeling that being 15 years removed from his fight with cancer means I should have moved on and shouldn't have this tugging at my heart.  But to be able to devote an evening and a ceremony, in my own heart, to him has been such a blessing.

Relays come in all shapes and sizes and each one takes on its own personality.  But there are elements you'll find across the world which never change.  The luminaria ceremony is one such element.  After the sun has gone down luminaries begin to shed light on loved ones who have fought, are currently fighting, and some who have lost their fight against cancer.  The site of hundreds of luminaries lighting the track during the solemn ceremony is incredibly moving.
 
This is absolutely my favorite part of the day.  It's not easy to see the names and pictures of children, moms, dads, friends; to read the messages left my the people grieving their losses.  But it is so powerful and helps us remember not only why we Relay, but for whom we do it.  For a walk down memory lane, check out last year's relay luminaria speach here  This year I am excited to have the opportunity to make lumiaria bags for people in all three categories of the fight: my dad who lost his fight, my aunt who won, and my mom's friend Holly who is currently fighting.  I am honored to walk in their names and to pour my heart into the hope that other people one day won't be doing the same thing.
 
If you have someone you'd like honored at this year's Seaside relay, please let me know.  A luminaria bag can be decorated for a donation of $10.  If you've already made a donation to our relay let me know and I will gladly make a bag for your loved one if you'd like.  Or if you haven't yet donated but would like to have a bag made, donate $10 today and I will be sure the memory of your family member/friend will be honored.  Go to www.relayforlife.org/seasideca and click on Team WTB.  You can give $10 (or more, don't let me stop you!) to our team or select any one of the team members and donate in their name.  Austin, William (yes, William is a team member, and yes he already has his $100 raised!) or I would love your support but if there's a team member who has not reached $100 yet you can help them earn their t-shirt by getting them to that $100 benchmark.   Up to you!  Then just let me know what you want on the bag, how you'd like it decorated (maybe a Dallas cowboys star for my dad?  or a Hawaiin beach picture for my aunt?) I'll be sure to get it done.
 
As always, thanks for your love and support throughout this journey.  We're almost there!

No comments:

Post a Comment