Dec 1, 2009

A Baby by All Definitions

June 17 a plastic stick (that costs WAY more than it should) confirmed what I already knew: I was pregnant! I went home and told Austin - and his face lit up like you'd never believe. I knew, though, on June 7, and when I knew the thought NEVER crossed my mind that I was carrying a zygote, embryo, fetus, or any other scientific name you can think of: I was carrying a baby.

Pro-choice activists will argue that the molecular formation in your body takes on multiple definitions before it finally becomes a baby. Maybe they say this so they can feel better about themselves and sleep better at night, I don't know. Doctors and scientists vary on the time frame in which they believe a fetus becomes a baby, but at 28 weeks there is no confusion - what was once a single cell, what was once a zygote, is now a baby. How does the saying go - a rose if by any other name is still a rose? But I think I've made my point and I'll let the issue rest.

The point here is that William is now officially, by all medical and scientific opinions, a real baby! He weighs in at anywhere between 2.5 and 3 pounds and is roughly 11 inches from crown to rump. When Austin and I were in Estes Park we bought William a stuffed Boxer "doggie" who is 9.5 inches. Austin crumpled him up into a little ball and held him in front of my stomach - I really don't know how the baby has any room to grow in tight quarters like that! The chance of survival at 28 weeks is above 40% and all of William's organs, facial features, and limbs are in place and functioning. Now it's just time to strengthen and grow!

We had our 28 week appointment yesterday, which didn't go as smoothly as one would hope. My blood pressure was high, so the doctor ran some tests (which equates to yet another needle-insertion when I was told this appointment would be trauma free) to look for signs of preeclampsia and toxemia. The nurse took my blood pressure initially and then the doctor took it twice more, but the results never varied. So rather than seeing her again at 30 weeks, I have an appointment next Tuesday to follow up. She said that because the rest of my test results so far have been normal, my weight gain is ok, and I'm not showing other signs of preeclampsia she isn't terribly worried - but it is something she will monitor more closely. To help alleviate the blood pressure she let me know I should decrease my stressors at work and home, eat more protein, and be sure to get at least 8 hours of sleep per night. So this morning I let my boss know that I will be available to work from 8:30-5:30 through next Monday and from there we will play it by ear. The month of January is expected to be worse than November, so I let her know that I will also have to limit myself during that time too if my doctor thinks the problem is persisting. The ultimate solution to unresolved high blood pressure is to induce labor once you've reached 34 weeks, and before that the only solution is bed rest. Neither of which helps Western Union any more than my limited work schedule, so its in their best interest that I stay healthy too.

But - they are the least of my concerns. William's heart beat was strong and healthy, so he's doing well. We've just got to get mine under control so I can take the best care of him possible! I don't want anyone to worry more than necessary - the doctor was hardly alarmed so I don't think we should be either. For now, its all precautionary to make sure nothing goes unnoticed or is not taken care of properly.

So that's where we are with BABY William Wallis :)

No comments:

Post a Comment