Dec 22, 2009

A Soldier or a Baby

This morning as I was driving to work I had my Brad Paisley Christmas CD playing. OK, blaring. Call it what you want. Anyway. On the CD he has a song that he wrote and performed when he was 13 and breaking into the music industry. The song is titled, "Born on Christmas Day" and it is pretty amazing that a 13 year old could come up with the lyrics that he did.



It was a cold and dark December night

But a star still lit the sky

Away in a manger you heard a baby cry

It was the cry of the Son of God

A little baby boy

Born in that manger to bring the world joy

(chorus)

So hush up little baby

You know not what you'll do

You'll bring the world peace and love

And teach them while you do

You have nothing to fear because you know

God is with you all the way

That little important baby

Born on Christmas day



Many people soon gathered round that tiny run down barn

They knew not of what they saw

Then came three all dressed in fancy robes, silks and furs

This was the first indication of the importance of his birth



Chorus



We expected a soldier to save us from our plight

All dressed in shiny armor, ready for a fight

But instead he sent a little baby boy

All filled with love and happiness

To bring the world Joy


Chorus


I grew up hearing the story of Christmas my entire life; I've probably heard it nearly 50 times already. But I got something new out of it just by listening to this song. The third verse really made me think. Maybe it's the real-life application for me right now that brought on this new element, I'm not sure, but the first line of that verse just really got to me. "We were expecting a soldier to save us". That makes me think of Austin - a big, bad soldier who protects me from harm whenever possible. If I were awaiting the first coming of my Lord, I believe I would be awaiting someone who was bigger, stronger, braver, and tougher than me - because the idea that I need someone to save me implies that he must be all of those things. If he's not bigger, not braver, and not stronger than I am, then why do I need his help anyway? "But instead he sent a little baby boy". That makes me think of William - and how it is my job to protect him. I've been protecting him for the past 7 months, and no doubt that job continues once he's born.

So how humbling a thought that God sent a BABY to save me. All this time I've been focused on the mere fact that God sent someone to save me, but a baby? Yes - we were (and still are) that much in need of saving that even a baby can fit the bill. It doesn't matter how strong we are, how brave or even how close to perfection we think we are - we still need God's grace and to be saved by his little baby boy.

I hope you all are able to be stricken with a new realization of Christmas this year in your own way too. I hope your Christmas is blessed with love and family and the joy of that little baby, and that you have a peaceful and restful holiday weekend.

God Bless Us - Everyone!


1 comment: