Dec 28, 2009

Stupid Tony Romo

Maybe I was doomed to not win the jackpot at fantasy football; maybe the fantasy gods were getting back at me for all the bad mouthing I'd done. If so, I had it coming. But I don't believe in fantasy gods, therefore I blame Tony Romo. and reggie bush, matt schaub, and a few others. but mostly Tony Romo. You see, somehow in both my leagues I managed to secure a first round "bye" in the playoffs. So 2 weeks ago I sat comfortably on my couch knowing I was still alive for another week, regardless of how well my players performed.

Then last week all I cared about was winning the game in my "big" league. The first place prize is $700 and second is $300, so I would have been happy taking the $300 (and splitting it with Dottie, my coworker who Austin and I teamed up with). So, if I could just win ONE MORE GAME in that league, I'd have at least $150 and possibly $350. But, last week our decision to bench Peyton Manning came back to haunt us as the Colts did NOT bench him, and he had one of his more productive Fantasy scoring weeks. Had we played him, we could have won our game and moved on to the championship. But, no use in crying over spilled milk - I did win in the smaller league and was happy that I still had a shot at $200. So Friday night when Chris Johnson of the Tennessee Titans scored more than Vince Young and Antonio Gates combined (I knew Vince could pull through for me and have 3 turnovers...love Vince Young) I thought I was sitting pretty nicely to win the $200. I already had it spent in my mind.

Then yesterday came. Most of my players during the early games did decent...Andre Johnson had a wonderful first half and if Matt Schaub would have tried THROWING THE BALL in the second half rather than handing it off to Ryan Moats for 2 yards every play, maybe Johnson could have done even better for me. But, he did his part so I was pleased. By the end of the first round of Sunday games I had all but one player done, and so did my opponent. He had the San Fransisco defense (who lit it up against Detroit. Then again, who doesn't) and I had Miles Austin. All I needed was for Miles Austin to perform like he has for the past 6 weeks and I'd have $200.

Instead, I watched all night as Miles Austin got himself open and available, and Tony Romo looked past him nearly every time. Romo to Witten. Romo to Williams. Romo to Witten. incomplete. Marion Barber. You heard all sorts of Cowboys names flying around last night, but one that was announced too few times was Miles Austin. Romo's bread and butter for the last 2 months - but he couldn't do it for ONE MORE GAME?

Like I said, stupid Tony Romo.

So, rather than celebrating my big winnings of $200 (a profit of $140)I am stuck with a whopping $40...and in case you can't do the math, that's a loss of $20 on the fantasy season. Wahoo. Excuse me while I go celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment