Jan 26, 2010

Change of Rules

Today was our 36 week doctor appointment - and it went very well. We started out with another 20 minutes on the fetal monitor...I think they should just let me set it up myself I'm so accustomed to it now. When Dr Russell came in she was extremely pleased with how "happy" our baby is. Before she got in there we had just been talking about how we didn't know what the doctors/nurses looked at to determine if the baby was happy or not, but clearly William was doing something right. Maybe he does like this little home I've created for him! Dr Russell said "Actually can I take your baby to the next room and have him show my other patient's baby how to behave? Cause hers is just not doing anything right today" Poor mommy!

She checked and said that I may have made "slight" progress as far as dilation but nothing major, and now we're out of the woods (she must like that phrase) so she isn't worried anymore! Good job William - way to hang in there!

After the exam and the group B strep test we just went over questions that Austin and I had. I asked her when exactly we need to call and it's so interesting what the difference in one day makes. If we were still at 36 weeks, I would be told to call anytime I have more than 4 contractions in one hour. But once we hit 37 weeks all of a sudden they don't want to hear a peep until we've had 12 in an hour...contractions every 5 minutes for one hour that last one minute each. Pretty different from 4 in an hour! Of course I should also call if anything out of the ordinary happens, like water breaking or other symptoms I don't regularly experience.

I asked her if she still thinks he'll come early or if she thinks that since I haven't made more progress that he'll go a few more weeks. She said that if she were a betting woman, which she isn't, she'd guess he'd be here within 7 days of me ending the Procardia. I take my last dose Friday night...so her prediction is by the 5th. WHOA! For fun, I made her predict a single day and she said, very matter-of-fact and without hesitation, "Feb 2, and I'm on call that night so we'd be together the whole way through" What are the odds??? I have a special blog written out in my head about Feb 2...one for if he is born that day and one for if he isn't...so I'll reserve my thoughts on the topic until then, but really...what are the odds? I did tell Dr Russell that Feb 2 was the day my dad died so I'd prefer to have him any other day and her response was "Yeah, I can see that. Although, sometimes the universe has a way of aligning things in that way for a special reason. And we'll be ok no matter what right?"

Yes, Dr Russell, we will be ok. We'll be more than ok. Our lives will be enriched beyond comprehension for having William present...whether it is Feb 2 or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment