Jan 15, 2010

Doc Update

I had my longest-ever doctor appointment today; loads of fun.

First, I haven't gained any weight in 2 weeks. Shame on me. Truly, I don't know how. Last weekend I think I ate about 5 cookies and lots of other calorie-rich foods. Then this week I FEEL like I've eaten as much as usual, yet I don't move around...so how could I not gain weight??? The nurse just said I should try to be on top of it. Noted.

Second, the person with the 11:00 appointment didn't show up until 11:15 (same time I showed up for my 11:30 appointment) so I wasn't shocked when the nurse let me know (after she took my vitals) that it'd be about 20 minutes before the doctor would come in. Those beds/tables sure aren't comfortable.

Third, the doc came in. She said "well hello almost delivered woman! How does it feel?" I said it was a mixed feeling and I think she was slightly concerned. Turns out we were having a miscommunication - I thought she meant how did I feel about almost delivering early, where she meant I'll be a mommy within 6 weeks so how does THAT feel. Once I assured her I'm good with that part, we proceeded. She asked me a series of questions and once she was done she looked at me and said, "Well, you answered about half of them right. Your prize: a cervical exam!" Turns out had I given a few more "right" answers the exam would have been avoided. Ah, shucks.

During the exam she determined that I am still 2cm and 80%, and William is still just sitting right there ready to make his exit. She asked me how Procardia and I were getting along, and I let her know that we aren't the best of friends. I sat on a fetal monitor for about 45 minutes to monitor his heart rate and to see if I was having contractions that I wasn't feeling, because I had told her that I usually had one contraction right around the time for my next dose of procardia. Turns out I had 2 contractions in that 45 minute period - I only noticed 1, but she said the 2 were fine. She let me know that if they get more uncomfortable or more frequent(still the rule of 4 in an hour) I can take a double dose of medicine, but if they are manageable and I don't like the side effects of the medication I'd do better to just deal with the discomfort. For now, that's the one I'll go with.

After the fetal monitor she took me in for a "quickie ultrasound". She pre-warned me that she is not as "skilled" as Missy and that Missy definitely has job security because she can't get good ultrasound information like Missy can, but she wanted to see how the fluid levels are. I did get a quick peak at my precious baby boy - but Dr Russell was right, she's better at being the OB than the ultrasound tech! At one point she had a picture of his profile and she said "look at that, his chin, lips, and nose are shaped just like yours!" I'm not sure if she says this to all moms to make them happy or if she really thinks so, but Missy had mentioned the lips before...so, we'll see soon I guess.

And probably sooner than we'd originally planned. Dr Russell said she hates trying to predict the future because babies do whatever they want, and they have been known to prove her wrong. However, based on my progress and his position, she did say that her "best hypothesis" would be that I would go into labor within a few days of ceasing the medication. To this I said, "well, Procardia and I get along well enough to stick together a couple more weeks". She reiterated that she can't guarantee that he'd be born that soon, but she doesn't think I'd hold up much more than maybe a week without the medicine.

I will see her again on Tuesday, where we will get our final ultrasound to determine William's size (performed by Missy this time) and then I'll see Dr Russell again the following Tuesday, January 26. At that point she is assuming she will be ready to take me off of the medicine and let William come on his terms. One week from Jan 26 is Feb 2. Just a note - take it as you will.

Based on this new realization that my doctor has a strong belief that I will be a mommy in the next 15 days, I think I better get to work on these birth announcements.

1 comment:

  1. It is getting so close, Amanda! He's almost here! I am SOOO excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete