Oct 25, 2010

Highway Robbery

When prices are outrageous, why is it called highway robbery? I've never seen a highway robbery. I have seen unruly prices though.

Like when I went to book flights for Thanksgiving. Austin and I are planning to fly down to Houston Thursday Nov 18 and fly back the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Our flight back isn't flexible because Austin starts training that Monday in Colorado Springs. I went onto the Soutwest website and put in our dates...Thursday's flights came up and they are $69 one way. Sweet! Lookin good!

Then came Sunday. $293!!! Are you kidding?! I have NEVER spent $300 on a round trip ticket to Houston, much less one way! I don't think I've ever even spent over $250 for a round trip flight. I looked on orbitz and a few other sites, thinking that even though southwest is the preferred airline we'd really go with anything, and they were worse! So apprently flying one week before Thanksgiving is no big thing, but that weekend is so popular that they can charge more for a one way ticket than what I've ever paid for a round trip flight.

I looked at Saturday flights just to see if they were better. We'd prefer not to fly back Saturday but I figured if it'd save us a few hundred dollars it'd be worth it. But, nope - same prices.

So, add it all up and give Obama(or the government) his cut - thats $800 after taxes. I had budgeted $600 for our entire trip, and airfare alone far exceeds that. Looks like mama's not gettin an iPad for Christmas.

**pretty sure I was never getting an iPad for Christmas, so don't feel TOO bad for me. But please do pity me a little bit as I'm about to throw up as I click "purchase"**

1 comment:

  1. We may pass each other in the Denver airport Sunday! We're flying from IAH to DEN on Wednesday Thanksgiving week, and DEN back to IAH on Sunday. Our tickets were ridiculous as well - so I can totally feel your pain :(

    ReplyDelete