Mar 2, 2011

William Wednesday

I am sitting here trying to think of what happened since the last time I posted. I feel like my list should be much longer, because I feel like it's been much more than a week since my last William Wednesday. It's just been a week? That's slightly discouraging. I'm in a tough spot. As a parent, we want time to pass slowly. We want to savor every minute as if it were an hour. But, as an army wife with a deployed husband we want time to travel at warp speed. Where's the balance? I guess it doesn't really matter- one minute is always going to be sixty seconds, and one hour will always be sixty minutes - regardless of how it feels.

The week has been fun, though. On Thursday I had a huge scare. I was taking a brief intermission from work because I had noticed on facebook that a friend of mine had suffered the tragic loss of his 4 month old daughter. As I was updating myself on his life, as blogger stalkers like to do, I was reading the details about her last day. Moments, literally moments, after I read that she passed away at her sitter's house my phone rang. And who was it? William's school. My heart sunk as I swallowed the watermelon sized lump in my throat just to say "hello?" Elise informed me that William was fine all morning but woke up from his nap with 103 fever and needed to go home. Naturally I am freaking out. I hurried to pick him up and drove straight to the doctor without having an appointment yet. We spent 2 hours at the doctor's office - partially because we had to wait for test results and partially because the PA had to go to the hospital for a personal reason so the doctor was seeing all the patients rather than just his appointments. In the end, though, we spent 3 hours at the doctor's office to find out nothing was wrong. But, because his fever had been over 102 I couldn't return him to daycare for at least 24 hours. I was not pleased to know that the day Austin would be travelling half way around the world I'd be at home with a sick baby with nothing to distract me.

It turned out to be a little hidden blessing from God, though, because I didn't have a sick baby. He was far from sick. I have no idea what the fever was about but he was 100% fine, happy, playful, healthy baby on Friday. So, we ran some errands, played at Monkey Bizness, and Austin got to say bye to William on the phone. Sometimes things happen for very special reasons.

We had a fun weekend - wonderful friends invited me to dinner Friday night, more invites on Saturday night...people are very good at secretly trying to make sure I'm ok. They never ask, they never look at my like I'm an orphan on the street corner but they make sure I'm not alone and make sure I am having fun. Wonderful, wonderful friends. William had a lot of fun at our friend's house Friday night. They have a 3 year old son and William thought he was SO COOL. He watched everything he did and tried to mimic him a lot.

I kept a list of things that William did on the weekend so I could update Austin, so here are some key points:
~loves feeding layla more and more, and likes to drop things through the hole in his high chair tray and see layla catch them
~reaches toward Austin in our family picture ALL the time and loves when I stop there and hold him so he can touch austin's arm
~he leaned his foot towards me when I said "can i put your sock on?"
~said "mama" while standing at my feet and holding his arms out for me to pick him up - first time that I think he used the word in the right context
~had avocado for dinner sunday and LOVED smooshing it in his hair. kinda liked eating it :)
~was intrigued when we had a facetime talk with my mom and he could see her on the phone
~ate some cantaloupe sorbet and absolutely loved it...gave mommy a reason to NEED the kitchenaid ice cream attachment for my mixer :)
~stacked 4 mega bloks!!!

Yesterday when I picked William up Miss Cassie told me, "William had a great day. He didn't even fuss when he saw Miss Kim and Miss Jennifer through the window today!" I told her how I had issues leaving my teachers in school and it always took me a little while to adjust. She had such a good turn on how to view it. She said, "Well, see, he's like you. You both build really great bonds, that's all". What a positive spin on it!

This weekend we are going to his school's annual Art Gala where I will bid on his art and he will wear a tuxedo. I'm SO excited and can't wait to snap some cute pics of my little baby in his tux. How grown up he'll look. Now if only I knew what I was going to wear...

No comments:

Post a Comment