Jul 24, 2009

How much chocolate is too much?

For dogs that is, not for me. I haven't blogged about pets yet - but figured this was as good a time as any to introduce Layla - the greatest dog ever, and the biggest pig ever.

They say cats train people - but I think dogs train people just as much. It didn't take long for us to learn that the trash can has to be enclosed...a trash can with a lid is not sufficient. So, we bought a pull out trash can from Lowe's and it is installed in one of the cabinets (and as I think about it - its so much nicer than having it either in the pantry near all your food, or out in the open...trash is just smelly!) It also didn't take us long to learn that Layla LOVES bread. all types of bread. I don't really have to stop at bread though - Layla just loves food. It took us awhile to realize that no matter how far back on the counter we pushed our food, no matter how much we tried to barricade it or disguise it - she would find it. I wish we had a camera in the kitchen so I could SEE her get it, but we don't so I can only imagine her standing on her back legs and reaching her front legs around the food, then knocking it onto the floor. Austin would like to think she solicits the help of Reagan, because Austin thinks everything should be Reagan's fault, but I think Layla flies this one solo.

So, for the most part we are well trained not to leave food out. It can get annoying sometimes, especially if its something that doesn't need to be refrigerated and we don't need to store in the pantry. Occasionally, though, we forget - and Layla reminds us every time.

This past weekend Addie and I made "chocolate chip cookie brownies" You can find the recipe on the betty crocker website if you're interested - and if you like brownies at all, trust me - YOU'RE INTERESTED. they are delicious. extremely rich, so be prepared to share, but they are sooooooo good. (i don't even care for brownies that much) Also - if you have any guilt associated with what you eat...you might want to sit this dessert out. It's just fat layered on fat, mixed with a bit of water, and layered on fat. But - one or two little bites never hurt anyone right?

When Layla had 2 PLATES full, I think it hurt her though. Austin went home for lunch yesterday and re-heated some leftovers (like a good boy, so I wouldn't have to. I'll eat leftovers, they're just not my favorite...thats a story for another day though) He pulled the brownies out of the microwave, then must have forgotten to put them back. So when I got home from work last night, Layla informed me she had done something wrong.

There are theorists who believe dogs don't know when they've done something wrong, or that they don't remember. But they do. It doesn't matter how long its been since she's committed the crime, when we get home she lets us know with her body language that something isn't right. Sometimes it takes longer than others for us to find the evidence and see what she's done wrong (like 2 weeks ago when she stuffed the last of the brisket in the chair cushion...perhaps saving it for later) but yesterday I noticed the shredded up Styrofoam plate immediately. There were 3 plates, but one plate was upside down with all the brownies still in it, so either she ran out of energy or she couldn't rip that one to shreds - but she did manage to enjoy 2 plates full. Its hard to really punish her - after all, we're the ones who have been trained not to leave food out right?

So far, I think she's ok. She threw up, which the vet said is good because she's able to get it out of her system on her own, and she's gone to the bathroom a lot. She also drank 2 bowls of water, which the vet said will just make her more sick but she thinks it'll make her feel better. Overall, there's not much we can do except watch for signs of toxicity (may help if I knew what those signs are!) and just let it pass. It took a week before she was back to normal after enjoying 5-7 pounds of brisket - wonder how long the brownies will take.

A side note I'd like to add: she always licks the plates/pans clean - and she has yet to break one!

All this talk about food reminded me that I forgot to bring lunch, and I forgot that I need to eat by 11:30 before baby tells me he/she is hungry...now its 11:50. I better go.

No comments:

Post a Comment