Jul 23, 2009

Pregnant Brain

Last August a coworker of mine was newly pregnant, though she hadn't announced it to anyone yet. We were working on doing state tax returns for one of our clients and one of the managers had written state abbreviations down for each of us to be working on. Next to her name was "NE" and she inquisitively said, "I didn't realize New England had its own state returns" We all blankly looked at her - unsure of why she had made the mistake between New England and Nebraska. She's a smart girl, and we had done enough state returns (you'd have thought) to know what all the abbreviations meant. When she told all of us a month later that she and her husband would be expecting their first baby, she also added that she was having "pregnant brain" and that the New England/Nebraska confusion was just one of her many, many brain-farts that she had related to pregnancy.

At the time I wasn't sure how much I bought into the pregnant-brain theory (though she's not the first I'd heard it from). But now - I buy it.

I was emailing with Alexis this morning and she mentioned that she is having trouble focusing at work, hence all the emails, but focus isn't a problem for me so what's my excuse? I said I am pregnant - that's excuse enough. I went on to explain that I had overslept this morning, forgot to eat breakfast or pack a lunch, forgot my water, forgot to take my medicine so I had to turn around and go back for it, then when I got to work I realized I'd forgotten Austin's dress pants that he has to wear to work tomorrow that I was supposed to have pressed. I felt it was necessary to explain why I didn't have any of my medicine with me, because typically I have a "first aid kit" in my purse for times like that. However, my purse for the day is too small to fit my first aid kit so I had to leave it behind.

So, I may forget to brush my teeth or forget to EAT - but my priorities are in line, I assure you. Because I have yet to forget to make sure my purse matches my outfit.

I better go eat lunch before I forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment