Jul 30, 2009

Perception is Everything

Last night I went over to Kaila and Jodi's for dinner. We were planning a delectable treat - pancakes, sausage and eggs - YUM! Breakfast for dinner is probably one of the best ideas ever. Its been a little chilly this week, and yesterday walking to my TB after work it was raining so I was pretty cold the entire ride home. So before I headed over to their condo I threw on some comfy fleece pants and a t-shirt. As I passed the mirror on my way out I thought "hmm, 2 months ago my stomach didn't bulge out at all in these pants. that's fun" (in the most sarcastic of voices...or thoughts)

When I got to their place I was pouring pancake batter into the pans and Jodi said "Amanda you look SO skinny. and you're pregnant - that's awesome" I just laughed. Skinny is the LAST thing I feel like. I don't feel like a whale or anything - and good thing since I'm only 10 weeks along - but I certainly don't feel skinny. I accepted the compliment and we moved on to talking about more important things...like Jodi kindly letting me know that my pancakes are small and she would like a big one please. The last pancake I made was the size of the pan - and I'm proud to say it was too big for her to finish.

Ok I'm lost here - am I talking about pancakes or skinniness? Ah yes - the perception of skinniness.

I'm too small for maternity clothes, I'm too big for most of the pants I was wearing 2 months ago (or one week ago for that matter) so I'm stuck in between. Most online "experts" will say just to buy clothes a size or 2 too big and let that be your wardrobe until you are officially big enough for maternity pants. So, I thought I was pretty fortunate to already HAVE plenty of pants one and two sizes up from my pre-pregnancy weight loss. Wonderful! Except - those "experts" failed to mention that your legs will look like they are in clown pants and you will have no resemblance of a rear-end. I know lots of people live their whole lives with no resemblance of a rear-end (poor souls!) but I've never been lacking in that department - so its a little odd to look back there and just see extra fabric sagging all over the place.

So -to the moms out there - when will I be able to actually embrace a belly and wear maternity clothes? (that's a real question, not rhetorical)

And - I just have to make a brief mention of this - anyone see/hear about the "issue" with Obama and the police officers who acted "stupidly"? If it weren't at the detriment of our country, I'd say that I'm thoroughly enjoying watching the train wreck as it happens. But I guess since it is at our detriment, I'm only slightly enjoying it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment