Jul 28, 2009

Shrimp Face!

My least favorite food in the whole world is shrimp. This fact is very hard for some people to comprehend - they seem to think that its impossible to dislike shrimp completely. So, time and time again I hear "oh you should just try it ____" and insert one of Bubba's thousands of ways to cook shrimp. Just try it fried, just try it in gumbo, just try it wrapped in bacon, just try it with the red sauce (which is equally nasty, by the way) etc. I know I don't like it - I don't need to prove it to myself, but to humor people I always agree to try one.

Then comes the shrimp face. I can feel my whole face shrink up, my eyes squint closed, and my lips pucker out as I try to digest the shrimp without hurling it back at the brilliant person who suggested I try it, yet again. People usually get just as much pleasure out of my shrimp face as they would have if I had actually said "Wow, that's really good!" Sometimes I think we could just fore go the tasting session and I could just make the face.

Anyway - got off on a little tangent there.

So the shrimp face. I know what it feels like and as much as I try to fight it, it happens anytime I taste food that is just awful. So this morning I was a bit surprised to feel the shrimp face coming on as I bit into my egg/sausage/potato breakfast burrito. Only difference is - I like those. I've made them a thousand times, and since I was actually punctual this morning I thought I'd make one today. I didn't get nauseous or have to go purge the craziness out of my stomach or anything - but it just tasted awful. Weird fluke I thought, maybe my taste buds just don't have a taste for eggs right now.

For lunch I had leftover chicken peppers - one of Austin's favorite dishes that I make(and I'm a pretty big fan of it too). I made it on Sunday, but the bad part about making it is that I'm eating the leftovers for weeks. I'm ok with leftovers ... sometimes ... and I"m ok with eating something twice in one week, but to eat it 3-4 times within a span of 5 days...that's a lot. So at lunch time, when my shrimp face re-emerged, I wasn't sure if it was because now my taste buds apparently have something against chicken, or if my stomach was just saying "Oh really? this again?" Either one - the shrimp face has now presented itself twice in one day.

I think I'd rather crave pickles and ice cream than dislike foods that I typically DO like. Because its hard to know at 7:30 am what my taste buds will or won't like at lunch that day. I haven't craved pickles and ice cream, in case you are wondering, though Austin did offer me some ice cream to go with my pickle the other day. Very funny.

At this point I'd like to insert a picture of the shrimp face - but sadly, I don't have one. So you'll just have to use your imagination, or convince me to eat shrimp one day.

2 comments:

  1. Everybody tells me I need to try shrimp in one of the millions of ways to eat & i hate it too! :) I knew we were destined to be friends for life, but I never knew why until today. Haha!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha all it took was a disdain for shrimp? thats the easiest friendship to maintain - cause i'm going to hate those little guys forever!

    ReplyDelete