Aug 21, 2009

Costco or Sams?

Its funny how time changes things. 10 years ago I was trying to figure out which store was better: Abercrombie or American Eagle (for bigger chested, bigger hip-ed people...American Eagle definitely) Today, I'm trying to figure out which is better between Costco and Sams. How fun life has become.

I've heard from many people that the 2 are like comparing Walmart and Target. So one is cheaper, one has more fun stuff; that's how it translates in my head. There is a Costco across the street from my office, and there is a Sam's at the outdoor shopping center that is closer to home. So both are fairly convenient. There are a few people at my office who have memberships to BOTH which I just think is a little excessive. So, I've been asking around to find out which is better.

I've learned that the baby formula at Sam's is a better deal. They have their own brand which has the same ingredients and same nutritional information as Enfamil, but the jars are bigger and its cheaper. I've also heard that, as long as your baby doesn't need sensitive diapers, the Sam's brand diapers are a lot cheaper and come in higher quantities. I haven't heard anything good about the Costco diapers, but as far as baby "gear" and accessories, Costco has a wider selection of that (proving the "more fun stuff" comment I made earlier)

Most people who are Costco shoppers seem to be very impressed with their paper products. My mom likes the individually wrapped toilet paper. I haven't figured out what the individual wrapping does to enhance the toilet paper, but she likes it. One of my coworkers has a membership solely to buy the Costco brand of bleach-wipes, toilet paper, paper towels, and the meat. Everything else she gets at Sams.

I have another coworker who goes to BOTH stores every weekend with his wife and baby to look. Sometimes they even go to 2 different Sams locations. I can't imagine that a family of 3 would need to make purchases at a super-center more than once a month, but maybe they just like to look? He raves about Costco's selection on electronics, baby toys, and other non-grocery items. Sams tends to be his stop for the grocery goods.

Personally I don't want to spend $80 a year to have 2 different memberships, which I will use MAYBE once a month. I like the thought of the formula and diapers at Sams - our main reason for getting a membership is for baby stuff. But I also like the idea of the "fun" stuff.

Anyone else have any other thoughts on either place?

We are planning to "tour" both stores on Sunday to see which we like better. Last weekend, Babies R Us; this weekend - super-centers. Jealous?


No comments:

Post a Comment