Aug 11, 2009

What's in a Dream?

Don't worry, I won't talk about being a psychic again.

I've read in a few different pregnancy articles that pregnant women report having more vivid dreams, and that there seems to be a pattern of the themes of these dreams. I know the first trimester involved dreams of people from your past - exboyfriends, old friends, etc. The second trimester is supposed to have a lot of dreams about animals, and the third trimester's dreams revolve around nature. Well, I had all 3 mixed into one. And it was quite an odd dream (which is pretty normal for me, actually)

In my dream, my family was having a family reunion. I'm not sure where we were, but we were walking on a path along side a highway, and the path was somewhat leading into the woods and near a lake. There were about 15 people in front of me, and my dad was there playing with a little girl. I thought the little girl was my niece (which I do not have) so I weaved through all the people in front of me to get up there so I could place with her. I picked her up and was swinging her back and forth while she giggled and was just as happy as could be. Everyone at the reunion seemed to want her to like what they are most interested in - so my dad kept trying to get her to play with a football, Emily kept trying to get her to play with horses, and my aunt Mandy was insistent that she like snakes. I don't know if my aunt even likes snakes, but in my dream she did. My mom kept talking to the girl, but she kept saying Amanda. I was confused because I thought she was talking to me- and then I took one more look at her and it dawned on me: the baby was me at age 2. People knew I was there - in both forms, me the 25 year old and me the 2 year old. Baby me was only comfortable with the snakes if I was holding her, the snake was wrapped around both of our arms, and his head was in my mouth. This didn't shock anyone - apparently that's a normal practice for snake-charmers? So Mandy kept bringing over snake after snake for baby Amanda to meet. The last snake she brought over started slithering further and further down my throat until I was choking. I was trying my best not to scare baby me, so I was being calm, which made it difficult to get anyone's attention. Finally someone got the snake out and threw him into the lake, because he clearly wasn't an obedient snake.

Then it was time for lunch. We were having BBQ and everyone kept telling me to try the baked beans. I don't like baked beans, but no one would listen to me, and finally someone filled my entire plate full of baked beans. Then someone else put a clump of coleslaw on top and everyone thought it was the most entertaining event of the weekend. I was furious, so I decided I'd crawl under the picnic tables and eat out of the buckets of food down there. While I was down there baby Amanda crawled into my lap, and suddenly we were in the lake. I felt like I was going to drown, but I figured out how to swim across the lake with just my legs, so that I could hold baby me.

That's about all I remember.

And the point of sharing it is just so I can get your analysis :)

Glad you spent 5 minutes reading it? Me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment