Aug 13, 2009

Wisdom: I Finally Have It

In the form of teeth.

I've known for the past 9 years that I have 5 wisdom teeth, which means I'm extremely wise. It also means that despite the fact that 4 are coming in perfectly, they need to be removed because of the one that is coming in crooked. My orthodontist, who I despised, told me that the day I left his office for the last time. I had just endured 4.5 years of torture via braces, so I decided I deserved a little break from the oral-abuse and I would deal with my wisdom teeth later.

Later became sometime in college, which was then never convenient because I didn't have a dentist in college station. So then 'later' was postponed to post-graduation, but then I didn't have dental insurance, so it was postponed yet again.

Earlier this year I started to feel my wisdom teeth protruding through my gums and decided that the time would be near that I would have to bite the big one and have them removed. Then I found out I am pregnant.

No oral surgery for me!

Which was of great comfort, until last week when my lower jaw began throbbing anytime I ate anything. My gums are swollen, my jaw is sore, and I bite my cheek daily. All in the name of procrastination. I've always known stubbornness and procrastination get you no where, but I'm a big baby about my teeth...so I thought maybe it would pan out well for me. Maybe my orthodontist really was as big an idiot as I thought he was, and maybe he saw 5 teeth when really there were just 4 perfect teeth growing in straight with plenty of room. That may still be the case, and until another doctor tells me otherwise I'm sticking with that, but that doesn't change the fact that had I just gotten the wisdom teeth out back in high school none of this would be an issue.

Oh well, at least now I have a GOOD excuse for why I'm putting it off right? And 6 months from now I'll know pain to its fullest, so this measly little wisdom-tooth pain will be but a faint memory.

Moving on. Last night Austin and I watched Father of the Bride. He had never seen it before, which I think is just insane, so I put it on Netflix immediately. I laughed hysterically almost the entire movie, and he got angrier and angrier as the movie went on. He grew to hate the daughter, and accused her of changing and no longer loving her daddy just because some "tool" stepped into her life. I tried reminding him that he doesn't have to be protective of HER...she's not his daughter. But apparently to dads (and soon-to-be dads) the character is too difficult to separate from your own daughter. At the end of the movie when the daughter calls her dad from the airport to say bye I said "See, she still loves her daddy" and he said "If my daughter EVER calls me 'Austin', if a man EVER proposes before I've even met him, and if anyone EVER expects me to spend $250 per person on a wedding...someone will be hurt. But at least she finally came to her senses and realized her daddy is still #1." Whoa...down boy. I guess there's some sort of wire in the man's brain regarding daughters that I just don't understand. And I guess that's why Austin thinks a son would be so much easier. "son's just don't change" he said. I told him "well, there's plenty of boys who get to junior high or high school and are suddenly too cool to hug their mommies..." and he said "well, that's not mean to dad at least..." ahhhhhh thanks. so i get to give birth, but as long as the kid is forever full of love and adoration for DAD all is well? I think that "wire" I wrote about is more of a loose screw or something :)

Austin did say, though, that as the pregnancy goes on he is coming to prefer a boy less and less and is just becoming excited for either one. I think he'd still rather have a boy first, but he isn't as dead-set on it. Our doctor's office claims there's a test that can be run at 16 weeks to tell the sex, but insurance companies don't pay for it. Today we have our 12 week appointment and Austin wants to find out how much the 16 week test costs, because he thinks 8 more weeks of waiting is just too long. Has he forgotten about the 6 months we have to wait before we actually SEE the baby?

Will keep you posted, as always, on how the doc appointment goes, the new ultrasound picture, and what we learn about the 16 week appointment.

Tomorrow I'll be busy working hard so that I can leave at 4:30 to catch my plane for Alexis's shower - YAY - so I hope you all have a fabulous weekend and I'll be back on Monday to distract you from work (or whatever it is that I distract you from)

1 comment: