Aug 14, 2009

Limes

Along with my love for Mexican food, I LOVE limes. Squeeze on tacos, rice, enchiladas, guacamole...not to mention MARGARITAS (oh, how I'd love one of those right now) So when I found out that our little jelly belly is about the size of a lime right now, I thought it was pretty precious :)


We had our 12 week appointment yesterday. Unfortunately, Austin was caught up in a meeting at work and couldn't make it. He really missed out - but he loved hearing me tell him all the details. I can see the pride in his eyes when I talked about it - very sweet.


The appointment went well. At our 8 week appointment we were asked if we'd like to do an optional genetic scan at 12 weeks. This scan doesn't tell anything conclusive, it just reports whether or not we are at a higher risk for various birth defects. Austin and I would not terminate our pregnancy under any circumstances, so we don't see the need to do the genetic testing unless there is something largely serious that needs to be addressed during the pregnancy. However, this initial scan came with an ultrasound - and we'll take any opportunity to see our little jelly belly! So I started the appointment out yesterday with an ultrasound. The technician told me to try my best not to laugh when the baby "bounces" because it makes it harder to measure, but most moms want to laugh cause its very cute.


When she turned the machine on, baby was in the fetal position and she informed me that was lucky because that is the position that the baby must be in to get all the proper measurements - she said some moms have to wait 20 minutes before baby lays back down! She got all her measurements, and it was as if the baby knew he/she was done cooperating, because about 2 seconds after the final measurement he/she starting some acrobatic moves! I saw some cartwheels, headstands, lots of kicking and some waving. At the very end the baby put his/her foot right up to the camera and I saw all the little bitty toes...very precious.


We did discuss the potential gender of the baby. I won't say what her prediction is on here in case for some reason my brother is reading, but its definitely not 100% anyway. I asked about the 16 week test and it is $75. I had told Austin the limit for us doing the test would be $100, so I guess we'll be doing it! 4 more weeks and we'll hopefully be able to announce the baby's name (if we can decide on one lol)


I know that from this point on, every picture I see will overshadow this one - every move my baby makes will be more monumental than the last, and I'm not sure when/if that ever stops. But for now, this picture is the pride of my life and seeing the ultrasound yesterday was the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I made our next appointment for a day that Austin won't be at work so he definitely won't miss out on that one. Its too much of a blessing and a miracle for him to miss it.

And to quote my favorite of all my baby blankets: "That's Our Baby!"

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you're moving right along...can't believe in 4 weeks you will find out what you're having! So very exciting!!

    ReplyDelete