Feb 22, 2011

What Would You Do with a Free Day?

I thought long and hard about using my President's Day holiday to make up for one of the days I took off last week in order to save some vacation time.

Thought long and hard.

Then I thought I was dumb for wasting the time and energy to think long and hard on such a simple question. To work when I don't have to? Silly me. William's school was open so I had the option of having a free day to myself - what a fool I would be to pass that up. So, I turned the alarm off and let myself snooze a bit before I tasked out my day.

William woke us up around 7:30 and because I was so prepared the night before we were out the door before 8. Lunch packed, clothes for both laid out, blanket and sheet washed and clean - we were ready to go. I decided to take William on a little breakfast date before school and because I am so generous we shared a breakfast meal at chick fil a. William had a fruit cup, one chick-n-mini and a few hash browns. I had the rest of the meal :) He loves chicken nuggets, but really if he didn't I think I'd worry that he wasn't my child. And hash browns? Hello, they are fried. Who doesn't love fried? We had fun sitting at the table, feeding each other and laughing before we made our way to Goddard.

After I dropped him off I headed straight to the gym. I've found the best way to ensure you get a work out in is to make it as convenient as possible so I was already dressed, needed gas which is next door to the gym, and I didn't let myself stop at home to get distracted. The gym didn't open until 9 because of the holiday, and I got there at 8:55. you'd think I was an over achiever, but it was a good thing I got there when I did because by 9:10 the parking lot was full. And who wants to park across the street and WALK to the gym? That's so demotivating, even if the purpose of the outing is for exercise. I got my workout in, gas tank full, and a quick stop to Target all before 11. It was already turning out to be a successful day.

Why did I need to go to Target? 2 reasons. One, its target. And a day off wouldn't be complete without a trip to Target. Also, I needed 8 more shoe boxes. I didn't go on a shoe-purchase binge or anything, I've just needed a couple new boxes here and there and have stalled on buying them. So, when I finally got tired of stacking my shoes on each other I decided it was time to count and see how many I needed. 8 - whoa! I let it get out of hand there. But, my procrastination paid off as the 4-packs were on sale for $2 off so I saved $4 on a $14 purchase - pretty good huh? Once I was home I realized the other reason I hadn't bought new boxes in awhile - my 2 shoe shelves were full and there was no more room. What would I do? Well, reorganize the hall closet to make room for sheets so the sheets could move out of my shoe-and-purse-heaven so I had 2 more shelves. Ah, and the shoe heaven looks much sweeter because of it. Plus, the hall closet got a nice revamping in the process too and I breathed a nice sigh of relief as I looked at the organizational masterpiece.

The rest of the day was spent washing cars, taking pictures to prepare the trailblazer to be sold (hopefully yet sadly), playing Wheel of Fortune on the Wii, and grocery shopping for the week. So, other than the wheel of fortune game (which I won, by the way, and won $50,000) my day was spent cleaning and organizing...and I absolutely loved it :) Next on the list: use my label maker to make labels for all of my shoe boxes. My heart is smiling just thinking of it.

So thanks George and Abraham and Teddy and Ronald - thanks for giving us a reason to take a day off work. Oh, and thanks for serving our country too.

No comments:

Post a Comment