Apr 21, 2011

Did you know shoes aren't just for looks?

I had no idea!

I don't wear tennis shoes much - really the only time I wear them is when I'm working out, walking Layla, or...well, those might be the only times. I LOVE wearing my high heels, then if they don't go my fall back is flip flops. Tennis shoes fall in dead last.

So 3 weeks ago when the trainer I've been working with at work asked how long I've had my shoes, I blushed a little in embarrassment as I said "about a year". She went on to say that it isn't just that they're old, but they're wrong for my feet and my knees. What? I don't wear shoes on my knees you weirdo. That's what I wanted to say, and maybe I would have if I weren't drooling so badly over her biceps at the moment. So, I just nodded and said "oh, ok" She told me that my feet pronate a lot and that my arches are getting no support, so my ankles are getting no support which then causes my knees to turn outwards. Next stop - my hips.

Whoa. I'm too young for hip problems. Please help!

She explained what kind of shoe I need and William and I went shoe shopping on Sunday. I wore them for the first time Monday on the treadmill and I could tell a difference immediately! Yesterday was spinning class, so its hard to notice shoes, but this morning I wore them on my way to work and as I was walking into the building I could REALLY tell that they force me to walk differently. My feet face straight forward and I don't roll from the outside-in as I step. During my workout Bekka kept commenting on how much more stable my ankles looked and how I was holding my knees over my toes better, but I wasn't particularly concentrating on that...it was the shoes!

I'm like Forrest Gump, I have magic shoes. And, just like Forrest, they aren't the cutest sneakers out there (I had my eye on this crazy pink/yellow/orange wild pair but couldn't find my size) but they work! And I guess, just this once, functionality can outrank the cute factor.

Now if only there was a magic pill that would let me and Bekka trade arms. And legs. And butts. Just for a day, I think it'd be fun.

4 comments:

  1. I'm dying, of course, to know what kind of shoes you bought! I think I may need some magic shoes too but I think I have more of a supination problem than a pronation problem.. but regardless - Do tell! (Ben has been getting after me lately because I've had my tennis shoes since before we were dating)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine are Asics. Bekka told me that unfortunately, most of the cool cute shoes are not for people with foot issues. She said Asics is one of the better brands for support. They aren't TOO bad :) We have a store here called Runner's Roost where they have you run on a treadmill and they watch you walk and stuff then determine what you need based on tests...I didn't go there but its highly recommended. ANything like that in Houston??? And yes, you NEED NEW SHOES. you should replace them every 6 months depending on how much you use them. you've been married what, 2 years and a month???

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - precisely! I probably bought my trainers in early 2007? So they're ONLY 4 years old ;-) I know, I know. But they are Asics too - I actaully LOVE Asics!

    That running test sounds ridiculous and AMAZING! I should definitely look into that. I know I run on the outsides of my feet because my rugby cleats along the outside of my boots always ended up worn down to half the height of the cleats on the insides. So I'm pretty sure that's a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA yes I'd say that's a problem. They also say to wear your current shoes in there so they can see how they are worn. Though at 4 years old I'm surprised there is any shoe left :)

    ReplyDelete