Jul 18, 2011

Birthday monsoon

I’ve written before about the overwhelming support we received from our church family when my dad was sick. It came pouring in, in so many forms from so many people. I know that although I’d love to remember it all, there’s no way I can possibly remember every way that each person supported us.

But one moment will always stand out.

As I think I’ve explained, I carried faith like a child throughout my dad’s illness, and I truly believed for 3.5 years that no matter what we endured, my dad would live. No matter how sick he got or how bad things got, I never thought for one second that we’d lose him. So when my parents told us that God had told them both separately through dreams, and they agreed together, that it was time to stop taking medicine (which was not curing him any more) and to let God do his work I was devastated. The truth came barreling in my face and I didn’t know what to do – but I knew I needed to be out of my house.

Of all of the people I know I could have called, I called my boyfriend’s mom.

I called Candace, who is now my mother in law.

Candace came and picked me up from my house, took me to her house, and sat with me on my couch while I cried. I never even told her what happened – I just told her I needed her and she was there. She sat there and cried with me, knowing how ill my dad was and assuming that’s what we were crying for, but never needed any words or any reasoning. She was there in whatever capacity I needed her to be. And even though I broke up with her son 2 weeks later, her support remained unending.

I’ve known Candace as long as I can remember, and she’s been loving and supportive of me for just as long. She knows me probably better than most women know their daughters-in-law, and she still allowed Austin to marry me :) She is one of the most patient and accepting people I know, and far more than I could ever be! If I had a penny for every time I’ve made it known that I don’t support someone’s decision I MIGHT have enough pennies to pay her back for all the times she has supported her loved ones despite their differences in opinion.

If its true that when you marry someone you marry their family, then I must say I made a really really good choice in marrying Austin. I don’t know anyone who has as great of a mother in law as I do – and I think its because before that, she was my friend.
Happy Birthday Candace – see you in ONE MONTH when our man is home for a little bit :)

- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment