Jun 26, 2012

I knew, and I didn't even Know

I'm going to tread lightly on this blog post because the last thing I want to do is sound self righteous - that is not at all the place from which I'm writing. I just had an ah-ha moment in church on Sunday so I wanted to share.

This was only our second visit to a church in Monterey, and the first visit hadn't gone as well as I'd hoped. But it was due to special circumstances so we agreed to give it another shot. But, when I heard the pastor was on vacation and we'd be hearing from a staff member for the sermon I was slightly disappointed. His sermon wasn't as powerful or moving as pastors' tend to be, but the message was clear.

We could tell from the bulletin that the sermon would somehow revolve around tithing so I was worried it was going to be a day of their capital campaign or something. Now, I won't say there is no room for this in your spiritual life, but as a visitor it's the last Sunday you'd want to visit.

But the speaker went deeper than asking for our monies. He explained that our personal call is to give our time, talents, and treasures - all equally important and equally called for. He went on to talk about each and when he got to the part about our treasures he said something I didn't expect:
God doesn't need your money.

He doesn't? But isn't that what this is about? Giving Him our money...

No, he doesn't need your money. Your money is already His, and He made the choice and devised the plan to give that money to you. He doesn't need your
Money, but the question is - do you? How much of your money do you need and how much do you surrender back to Him for the building of His kingdom?

I've always believed in the power of tithing. There have been times when it physically hurt to tear the check from the checkbook. But then electricity came in low, or a mortgage escrow refund came in, or some other unexpected form of financial relief arrived. I've always believed this because I remember when I was a kid spying at my mom writing checks, week after week, wondering where the money was coming from. We didn't have much, how did we afford to give that? And then God carried us through, time and time again. So I have always trusted and given in faith and never been disappointed.

As of lately, giving hasn't been as painful. We have been very blessed and fortunate through the last few years and I have joyfully given in thanks.

But I've always felt like I should do more. A friend competed in the tough mudder for the Wounded Warrior Project- how could I not give? The Leukemia Lymphoma Society needed funds to support a move to a new office - how could I not buy a brick in my Dad's name? I've sometimes looked back at the end of the year and told myself I need to reign in my donations a bit and have more discipline and plans so that they don't get out of hand. I don't need to support every cause, I tell myself. I give enough already right?

But then there was always this tugging at my heart. And I could never put into words why I felt like I should do more.

It came to me during the sermon. God doesn't need my money. Charities don't need my money. But God has blessed us and through those blessings I have to decide how much I need, and how much I want to give back in thanksgiving.

This is in no way related to my recent drive to raise money for the Relay. Or maybe it is? Maybe God is encouraging my efforts and reminding me that my time an my money are His and should be used to glorify Him. Maybe he is reminding me that my blessings and good fortune have not been given to me so that I may keep them all for myself.

Whatever His purpose, he spoke to me. And once again, through an unexpected channel. I'm learning those are His favorites!


- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment