Jun 5, 2012

So how do you like it?

I have been asked a lot how I'm liking California, so after a month of being here I thought I'd write a little bit about it.

How do I like it? Well, every morning on my way to William's school I drive right along the coast. I see blue/green water, beautiful white capped waves, and pretty tan sands. Our route curves along the bay and we drive past the fisherman's wharf which is surprisingly intriguing to this non-fish eater. It's a gorgeous drive! Then after I drop him off I head northeast through the foothills(not sure if that terminology is used here or is reserved for Denver, maybe I'll try it out and see what response I get). Regardless, I drive towards the mountains and see their beautiful green grasses and lush trees.

I spend my workday working on small business and individual taxes. I never would have guessed I'd get any more satisfaction from this than I did from corporate tax (which, as I've said before, wasn't a whole lot) but I do! I feel like I'm helping the small farmer to make an honest living rather than making sure I get as many pennies in the CEO's pocket as possible. I know that's a cynical way to look at corporate tax, but the whole scene wore on me after awhile and I lost the sense of value. But here, I really feel like I'm offering a great service to people who really need it.

Then on my way home, whether I pick William up or go straight home, I'm staring into those blue waters again. I drive through strawberry fields and spinach fields and pass the farmers picking their crop. And I love it.

On the weekends we spend a lot of time trolling along the waters edge. We walk on trails, drive through the small towns, and just enjoy the scenery. It's a different world and I am enjoying taking it all in. It's so beautiful!

But, it isn't home.

When does it feel like home?

I love it here. I love the farmers markets and their amazing produce. I am already grieving my loss of the peaches and strawberries and that loss is years away - that's how much I love it! I love that William will be able to enjoy the park year round. I think the mountains and beach in one city is like the best parts of my former homes colliding. I love so many things about Monterey.

So why isn't it home?

I was prepared for a long job-search, which turned out to be much shorter and more blessed than planned. I was prepared for unpacking to take weeks when in fact it took one. I was prepared for so many aspects to be more grueling than they have been but I was not prepared for this odd feeling that I'm just not at home.

The good news is that if it never feels like home, at least it's a really awesome 3 year vacation. And maybe it's just one of those things I can't force. Maybe I'm trying too hard to make it home when I really just need to sit back, live life and then wait for the day when I wake up and say, 'wow, when did this become home?'

Until that day, I'll just enjoy the fact that I'm being paid to vacation in one of the most visited places in our country. Doesn't get much better than that.


- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment