Jun 21, 2012

Organizing a Home

Organizing an entire home is a lot more challenging than I thought it'd be! It's one thing to say 'my hall closet needs a revamp' where the contents are already known and the location is set. But taking an empty house and 250 boxes of stuff is a different story. Apparently there's no 'poof' and done. It's been a much longer process than I would have hoped.

Our house has been unpacked and somewhat in place for almost a month now (I think, right? I'm losing track) but every day I find myself moving things, rearranging things, and finding new systems. But - I finally see light at the end of the tunnel! And I can almost share pictures of our new home.

I didn't expect to need to buy as much new furniture as we have but I'm enjoying it, and I'm very happy that it's almost all bought :) I'm not a big fan of spending money so I'm glad it's almost behind me. I also didn't think I would have such a hard time deciding where wall hangings and other decor will go. The last time I moved into a house we hardly had anything, so we bought decorations over the course of the time we lived there and things were usually bought with a purpose in mind. This time, though, we have a stack of items that don't fit in the same places they did before. It's a challenge! But it's a fun one.

I made a list of all of my outstanding ideas (outstanding as in - need to be done, not outstanding as in fabulous) and have goals as to when we will complete them all. Austin thinks its a bit aggressive of a schedule,but I suppose he doesn't have the same prize at the end.

What's my prize?

My craft closet!!! We have a closet downstairs that is meant to be a storage closet. But we have created storage in the garage and have designated the closet for my crafts. I'm so excited! I love the idea of it being a little hideaway with slanted ceilings and private quarters. It's the perfect size, and when I am in the middle of a project I won't have to pack it all up each time I work on it - it won't be an eye sore because it'll be behind a closed door.

Sure, I'll likely only have time for crafts once a week or so, but when time is that limited maximizing time is crucial - so eliminating the 'pack/unpack' phase is awesome. (I know fellow crafters agree)

So now I just want to hurry up on the rest of the house so I can start scouring pinterest and the web for ideas on how to make my perfect craft closet.

Gotta hurry, wouldn't want to finish it just in time to move again!


- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment