Jul 31, 2012

Perspective

So I've shared how freeing my lack of a social calendar has been, but lately the novelty has been slowly wearing off. I don't want to be so busy that my head spins in circles but it'd be nice to actually need a day planner (or iPad calendar or Microsoft outlook or any other form of engagement organizer) I told Austin that I'm beginning to feel the pang in my side that tells me I need friends and he said 'well I'll see if bills and I can arrange something.

Bills(a new character in my blog who I'm sure is thrilled to be part of this blog world unknown to him) is another platoon sergeant in Austin's company who has been urging Austin to 'get the wives together'. He thinks that his wife and I would be instant friends - which sounds nice but his entire premise for his theory is based on the fact that we both like to bake. Martha Stewart and I share that in common too but I bet we'd be far fetched to find any other mutual topics of conversation. So, as is true to my personality, I've been a little skeptical and reluctant to dive in and say lets go.

I am not sure if Austin told Bills that I was begging for friends, but last night during the Olympics he texted Austin and asked if I would want to go to a book club with his wife on Thursday.

There are some red flags here.

#1 I enjoy reading but have never been a very committed reader. I sort of play on the shore of calling myself a reader and there have been long periods of time where I haven't touched a book and haven't cared one bit. So 'book club' isn't quite where I'd picture myself (truly no judgment here, I'm just not that great with it)

#2 walk into a room of 5(or maybe 20) women who all know each other, none of whom I've even met? Me? I mean you, maybe, but me?

#3 the book of the month is one I'd usually quit reading mid-way through the back cover. Actually i did quit reading through the back cover on my first glance. And I'd have to actually turn to page 1?

#4 did I mention all of the women are members of the same church, and that church happens to be a different religion than my own? Now - before you start judging me - some of my best friends from Colorado are also members of this faith and I have never taken issue with it. But if #2 didn't make me enough of an outsider, think this one might???

#5 the one women in the group with whom I'm expected to be instant friends will be moving in two months. The cynic in me says 'what's the point?'

So, I emailed the scenario to Addie asking her opinion. I know her well enough to know she herself would likely be planning to pass on the invite so I knew she wouldn't judge. And she gave me the best response:

If Rickie hadn't sat next to me in geology and asked to go to lunch without EVER knowing me, we would never have hung out. Which means we never would have hung out with Ryan and James and she never would have dragged me to that party (because James liked Rickie). Which means Ryan and I would never have started dating and I never would have been introduced to that b-batt crew. THEN I never would have met you. (and I never talk to Rickie anymore)

True. And how can I argue with logic that very well could find me a friend of 9 or more years? (Addie can you believe we've known each other for 10 years next spring????)

So - to book club I go! On Thursday. And if I absolutely hate it and never speak to the people again, I guess I lost an evening of my life. I'd say I have far more to gain.


- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment