Jul 19, 2010

Ahh, Date Parties

When I was in elementary school My Girl came out and I was instantly called "vada" or "anna" (Vada's character's real-life name) because the resemblance was almost scary. It was soon after I got this nickname that I had a vivid dream, so vivid that I still remember it, about my long-lost twin Anna that my "real" parents kept while giving me up for adoption to my "fake" mom and dad. You have to know that my brothers had me convinced that women could only give birth to one gender and because my mom already had 2 boys, clearly I was the adopted one. The dream haunted me, clearly as I remember it almost 20 years later, so when I went to college and found my long lost twin it was pretty ironic!

I like to tell Addie the story of the first time we met because I still think its funny, and she doesn't remember it at all. That's how much of an impression I made on her! It was towards the beginning of the second semester of our freshman year, and we were dating guys in the same Corps outfit. They had a Hawaiian luau date party one weekend and afterwards Jonathan and I went back to his dorm room with his roommate Randy, his girlfriend Brittney, and another couple who I'd never met. The guy was one year below Jonathan and Randy, and the girl was my age. She and Brittney had met and hit it off I guess, so Brittney invited them in...and that's when I first met Addie. I got a kick out of her and Ryan, her boyfriend, because I thought they were the oddest match...I'd NEVER pick him for her. sweet guy, bless his heart, and insert any other phrase to counteract negative comments...he just wasn't that fantastic and she was so sweet! Brittney and Addie had plans to go get pedicures the next day and invited me along. I was always pretty shy around Jonathan's friends girlfriends - never the social butterfly at first - so I was hesitant to go, but I also was eager to make more friends so I went along. After the pedicures we went to lunch at Johnny Carinos where Addie and I discovered we have the same birthday.

Fast forward a little over a year. I was having roommate drama and had decided that I would move into a one bedroom for my junior year. Didn't want the trouble of roommates, but I hadn't found a place yet. Also, wasn't sure how I'd afford a one bedroom...way more expensive! Brittney saw me online one day and said, "Hey, do you need a roommate?" She told me that Addie, who I had seen periodically at football games or parties but never really got to know that well, was wanting to move into a 3 bedroom duplex with her friend Jen but their third roommate backed out. I said sure, Addie called me to see if I wanted to go see the place, then we signed the lease that week. I hardly knew Addie and didn't even MEET Jen at the lease signing, but I figured having 2 roommates that I barely knew would be better than 3 good friends who ended up spending so much time together than we ripped each other's hair out. If the 3 of us hated each other I wouldn't be at a loss since we weren't friends to begin with, and if we ended up having a blast it would be an unexpected surprise.

I must say it was the second of the two.

We lived together the last 2 years of college and it was by far the best thing that I took from college. Ok, maybe my degree was the best but this was a close second! It took me a few months to warm up to Jen (remember my lack of social skills when I don't know people?) but because I knew Addie a little bit we didn't have a trial-time before our friendship took off. We weren't inseparable and we both had our own friends, but that is what made the friendship even better I think. We weren't dependent on each other, but we had a blast when we were together. By the end of our senior year the 3 of us would have preferred stay home hanging out with each other in our living room than go out to a crowded club or party and we had some of the best times.

Along with sharing a birthday and many common interests, Addie and I were constantly told how much we looked alike. We never saw it, but apparently EVERY ONE else did. One day when I was working at Poor Yoricks someone yelled out, "Addie!" I turned to see if she was there, then realized he was talking to me. I laughed and said, "Oh, I'm not Addie. She's actually my roommate though!" "oh shut up, you're so stupid addie" "no really, I'm amanda" "whatever. how have you been?" "no...I swear..." "show me your student ID" REALLY??? Who was this guy, why was he demanding to see my ID, and WHY did I oblige??? He was stunned when he saw my ID. Another instance of shock and amazement was when Addie's friend from Oklahoma was in town, who I hadn't met yet. When I walked out to the living room Saturday morning he started talking to me like we were old pals. I thought he was just extra friendly, so I was trying to be a good host (A host, above all, must be nice to his guests...or so Thidwick and Dr Seuss taught me) It wasn't until Addie walked out of her room a few minutes later that Jason realized he was talking to a stranger the whole time.

So, if its true that women can only give birth to one gender, I can at least find some comfort in knowing that I found my "real" sibling. 20 years late, but that's ok. It was worth the wait! Our 2 years as roommates were just the beginning and we are just as close as, if not closer than, when we lived together. She's such a wonderful support, a great friend, and whenever we're together its always a blast. One of the many blessings in my life for sure.

Happy 26th birthday Addie...and let's not spend our 27th in different states k?

No comments:

Post a Comment