Sep 13, 2010

Dear Football Season

Dear Football Season,
I don't know why you were away for so long. You seem to come around for a short while, then leave just when I'm getting addicted. Why does it take you so long to return? In any case, I've missed you and I'm glad you're back.
Austin is equally glad that you're back and that I'm glad that you're back. You see, if Austin were to play video games or watch Family Guy or baseball or do any other single thing for 8 hours in one day, I'd probably flip a lid. I'd yell and scream (or just kindly say) that he was wasting an entire day and we need to mow the lawn and vacuum the carpet and walk the dog and fold socks...really anything other than sit mindlessly in front of the tv. But, everything is different in the fall. Rules change. Now it's perfectly ok for him to turn the TV on at 10 with the first pre-game show and keep it on football until 9 when the Sunday Night game ends. It's perfectly ok, you see, because I'm right there with him.
The other things still get done, they just get done much earlier in the day and much faster. Because at 11:00 the Texans play...and although I usually can't see them on TV, I listen live on the internet while I watch the Broncos. All while folding laundry and playing with a baby. It is multi-tasking at its finest, and I'm happy to do it.
I know last year I told you that I would never play that stupid fantasy game again, because it took away from my enjoyment of your simple game. But, I'm a glutton for punishment so I joined again. And guess what? I still was able to enjoy your games while winning in fantasy too.
I won. The Aggies won. The Texans won. The weather was great, birds were chirping, the smell of fresh laundry permeated the house, and I was in fall-heaven.
So welcome back. Get comfortable. Stay awhile. You're always welcome at our house. And this year, feel free to keep the Texans around through January and even into February.
Sincerely,
A Huge Fan

No comments:

Post a Comment