Sep 10, 2010

Remember

Facebook is a wonderful thing sometimes. Sure, it has the power to destroy marriages if people are dumb enough (did you know that in 2009 over 35% of all divorces in America attributed some of the failings in part to facebook???) Sure it can hinder one’s ability to get a job if their employers see pictures plastered all over facebook of the job candidate plastered too. And sure, it can make people lose jobs if they call in sick and then later post, “I’m headed to my boyfriend’s football game!” But, sometimes it really is a cool thing.

Like when word needs to be spread about a good cause. Word spreads on facebook like wildfires (or wildflowers, alexis). The Book Campaign is one such cause who’s news facebook is working hard at spreading. 24 hours ago I knew nothing of it, and now I’m in love with it.

If you aren’t familiar with the boot campaign, check it out at
www.bootcampaign.com or on facebook. If you don’t want to check out their site, I’ll tell you a bit about it. It was started by 5 ladies, the boot girls, in Texas (of course, what other state has more pride?) and the purpose is to raise money for organizations in support of combat veterans. Their slogan is, When They Come Back We Give Back. What a catchy phrase! They raise funds and support by selling combat boots that have their logo imprinted on the side of the shoe. They are also getting ready to release a tribute album with songs from various country music artists where all proceeds will go to the Lone Survivor Foundation and other veterans associations. They have spread their popularity through celebrities such as Gretchen Wilson, Houston Astros players, t.u. coach Mack Brown, aTm coach Mike Sherman, Houston Texans coach Gary Kubiak, Dallas Cowboys’ cheerleaders, and many others who have bought boots and sported them for campaign posters. People all over the country are joining the group on facebook and posting pictures of them putting their boots on. The concept is that when you put your boots on, you will be reminded of those who put the very same boots on day after day to protect your freedom. What better day to be reminded of that than the eve the 9th anniversary of 9/11.

I remember where I was on September 11. I was a selfish 17 year old girl who was irritated that my day was being disrupted. We were being held in one class for the rest of the day, extracurricular activities were being cancelled, and all anyone wanted to talk about was what we were watching repeatedly on the TV screens. As shamed as I am to admit it now, I openly shared that I didn’t see how this had any impact on me. I didn’t know anything of terrorists or people who hated our country. I didn’t know there were groups of people around the world who would love nothing more than to see us fall. I was shocked to learn that people in Pakistan were cheering at the sight of innocent lives lost. My shell of comfort, security, ignorance and possibly even arrogance was shattered as I learned of the realities in our world. I never considered myself a sheltered person until that day. Until I learned that thousands of lives would be lost not only that day but also over the next 10+ years. And I had no idea how closely this would affect my life in the years to come. I thought I was safe. I was untouchable. I was American.

The truth is that we weren’t immune to such attacks. Along with millions of others, I blindly believed that because we had been on top for so long we were invincible. I was like the foolish celebrity who thinks their spouse won’t find out they’ve had 50+ affairs. And I was wrong.

Today my brother is fighting in a war that came as a direct result of the attacks that day. Today my husband prepares to go fight in the country where our 9/11 conspirators are plotting their next target. Today I do not ask, “How does this have any effect on my life?” It effects every single day of my life. We cannot, and should not, have such arrogance to assume that we are safe from such attacks. However, the arrogance comes because we have so many selfless men and women who are willing to step in front of us and provide us that safety. They are willing to do whatever they can, give whatever they can, to protect the livelihood of their countrymen, some of whom spit in their faces as a result. After the abundance of American pride began to fade, after the flags were taken off the car windows, after the friendly smiles were replaced with their previous scorns, and after life was “back to normal” for most Americans these men and women continued to serve. They continued to salute the flag and wear the boots, working hard to defend our freedoms. As always, I am in awe of and eternally grateful for their selfless call to service. I want to say “thanks”, though “thanks” is not enough, to those people who are so willing to give their life for me.

Today, one of the boot girls wrote a beautiful blog post in tribute to 9/11 in which she encourages her readers to “put your boots on” and support and thank those who do so for you. If you have time to read it, you should. She sends her message beautifully and writes it in a way I can’t. While you’re on the site you can sift through the pictures of all the people in their boots too. Grab your tissues as you see the image of a baby not much older than William sitting next to his daddy’s boots; his hero who he never met. Stories like that are so heart wrenching that I love to think they don’t happen, but they do. And it is because that boy’s daddy had such a deep love for his country and his family’s freedoms. Whether you put your boots on or not, remember those who are laying it all down for you. Remember those innocent lives lost on September 11, 2001 and thank God that you were born into such a strong nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment