Sep 30, 2010

Social Discretion

I read a blog recently in which the writer described a scene at the doctor's office where her daughter politely informed the boy next to her that he was black and she was white. The boy's mom did not understand that the daughter actually had jealousy of people with black skin because her favorite movie is about a black princess. The writer went on to say that in her house people aren't judged or treated differently for any reason such as race, religion, weight, etc. But she was asking for advice in how to teach her daughter that while there is nothing wrong with differences and while we should celebrate and embrace differences, we do not need to publicly announce them either. Hard lesson for a 4 year old. Her response, which I thought was precious, was "Mom, if I saw someone with pink skin I'd have to tell her because she would need to know she was beautiful". How sweet is that?

But that's a 4 year old.

I think 40+ year olds should have a little more social discretion. I'm not talking about skin color or obesity or any other social difference that commonly take attention. I'm talking about the cluster of 4 fever blisters that have claimed property rights on my upper lip.

Guess what everyone? I actually did realize Monday morning that I had a fever blister growing. And guess what? When said fever blister gave birth to 3 smaller fever blisters, then they joined forces to increase my already plump lip size 300% I was still very much aware. Had I not had the opportunity to see them staring at me the mirror, I did actually feel their presence as well. I felt my lip throbbing as they grew. I can feel them as I try to drink out of a water bottle without spilling(and fail), and as my lip literally almost touches my nose.

Yep, that's how wonderful my lips have looked this week. And yep, my coworkers were so concerned that I may not have been aware, that they chose to enlighten me.

"Wow, you have a huge fever blister!"
"Oh my goodness that's an awful fever blister"
"What is on your lip?! Did you eat something you're allergic to?"
"Tough month, this is the second time you've have huge fever blisters isn't it?"
"Ewwwwww, your lip looks painful"
"I've never seen so many fever blisters in one place"

Those are just a few of the comments that my peers have so kindly shared with me this week. It makes me very thankful that my classmates from elementary through college apparently had more tact than my well educated peers at Western Union. I do not need to be told of the abnormalities festering on my face. I see them, I feel them, but if I try hard enough I can pretend they are not there.

That is, until someone reminds me yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment