Dec 30, 2010

I didn't forget! I didn't forget!

I promise I didn't forget! I started writing this on Tuesday, the day it should have been posted, then yesterday...well...I thought of finishing it. I didn't though, so here I am 2 days late sending a happy birthday wish to someone who definitely didn't deserve for it to be late. My only saving grace is knowing that she, too, was on vacation and had far better things to do than check my blog!

So, after my much needed excuses, here's to Brittany!

I still remember the first day I met Brittany. I had worked for Rowan twice before, and was returning for the summer after my freshman year of college. I thought I would be working for someone named Shannon, but when I got to work on my first day a younger, cuter girl greeted me. She was wearing the cutest brown pencil skirt and a blue button up military style shirt that I owned too, but in maroon. She had a cute scarf around her neck and long pretty hair. Most stylish business professional I had met to date at Rowan, and I decided that day that if I ever became a businesswoman I would dress equally cute as this girl.

I had no idea that years later I'd be shopping on weekends with that same girl, sharing shoes and purses and griping about the expansion of our hips. Over the course of the last 8 years she has become one of my closest friends. Other than my mom and other role models growing up, she was the only person I had to look to as an example of how a wife should be. So, when I got married I made sure to take note and learn from her. She was the only mother of young children that I knew, so again I took note and learned from her because I knew one day I'd have a munchkin tugging on my heels too. She was able to balance her far-too heavy work load, her obligations and desires as a mother and a wife, and was still able to find time to be an incredible friend.

I'd like to say that I'm one of the lucky few, but Brittany is a good friend to more people than anyone I've known I think. She's always willing to pause and take time to help a friend in need, even if that friend hasn't always been a friend in return. She's so giving of herself and her time, and she opens her heart and her life to her friends. I'd like to think I was an exception, but I know that what she did for me she would do for any other friend in a heart beat - because that's the kind of person she is. So, while I can't brag that I'm among the elite, I can still be grateful and thankful that I am among the many. Whether there are lots of others in line with me or I'm the only one, I'm still extremely fortunate to have her to call my friend. I can only hope that someday she will need help; someday she'll need something from someone else and she'll call on me.

So to my boss, my mentor, and mostly my friend: Happy Birthday Brittany. I am working on a birthday present, but it won't be complete for...well...maybe awhile. So I'll just let you have something to open on William's birthday. We're so excited to see you! Hope you had a fantastic birthday and are still celebrating 2 days later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment