Dec 6, 2010

Where do You see God?

I have heard people say that they see God in the sunrise or the sunset. The beautiful colors filling the sky; the light fading away or emerging at the start of the day. I've heard people say that they see God in the fall colors of trees' leaves changing. The sign of hope for change in the seasons of our own lives; the sign that God has a plan to carry you through. I've heard that some people see God in major acts of mother nature - like hurricanes, tidal waves, blizzards. That God's peace shines throughout. That God is the calm in the middle, like the eye of the storm.

Me? I learned yesterday where I see God most. As a result, learned why it is that I love Colorado so much. When I look at the mountains, that's where I see him. That's where I feel his presence the most. The mountains are so majestic, so beautiful, and yet so imperfect. Their edges are rough and uneven. Their trees only grow leaves on one side. There are patches of snow that are too hidden to ever see the sun, and then there are areas that can't hold snow longer than a few days because the sun is ever present.

Through their raging imperfections and their harsh contrasts, I am reminded somehow of God's work not only in the world but in our lives. There are areas of our lives that may seem perfect, yet there are always the hidden areas where the snow never melts. There are times when our lives seem so rough, like the tips of the mountains, yet when you step back and see everything together you can see their beauty.

I drove home from Colorado Springs last night, which is nestled deeper into the foothills than Denver, staring more at the mountains on my left than the road in front of me. I was sad to be leaving my husband, yet ecstatic at the shrills of happiness coming from my backseat. The harsh contrasts of my life, and yet I know that God has created every moment for a purpose. So while I drove away, the pangs in my heart were overshadowed by the smile on my face and the love that I felt. And that's when I felt God the most.

What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment