May 17, 2011

Happy almost 27-Half Birthday

If I would write this tomorrow, I'd be exactly 6 months behind on this birthday.

Whoops.

When I started this birthday journey I began with Addie's birthday, and I wrote about how I chose to live with her and one of her friends whom I hadn't met. I did this because I felt like being TOO close with your roommates could end badly, so I thought living with mere acquaintances was the best answer.

Though as it turned out, I ended up living with 2 of my closest friends to this day.

It took about 3 months before Jen and I had our "click" moment. I am a little closed off when I don't know people and can come across as...well, I've been told snotty and rude. I don't mean to, I just don't always know what to say to people I don't know. One Saturday night though, Addie was out of town and neither Jen or I had plans with our friends. It was a rainy, chilly night in October, football was out of town so not a lot was happening in that area of our social lives...it was just a kind of sit-on-the-couch-doing-nothing kind of night. So, Jen and I decided to do nothing together.

We ended up having the most amazing time.

We watched movies, ate pizza, sat on the porch watching the rain, and talked until 3 am getting to know each other better than we had in the entire 3 months prior to that night. We realized that as long as Addie was in town we let her be the middle man between us and we never forced ourselves to really get to know the other, but once we did it was wonderful. We had such different perspectives on life, love, friends, school...yet we clicked so well.

We spent the majority of our senior year enjoying nights-in rather than nights out, eating dinner together regularly, hooked to the same TV shows, and growing closer than we thought we would. WE graduated and spent some time where we didn't talk much, but once both of our weddings were planned and over we renewed our friendship. We don't get to see each other very often but we try to keep in touch with emails and pictures of our ADORABLE kids...and she's always willing to lend and ear when I need that special Jen perspective on things. She's given love advice, parenting advice, workout advice...you name it, she's given it. I'm so thankful to have a friend like her, long distance or not, and I look forward to that once-a-year moment when we get to see each other.

Still need to figure out when that will be in 2011...

Until then, I love you Jen (if you're reading this) happy half birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment