May 2, 2011

I know, I know.

Last night I posted on facebook that we should chant victory and bring my husband home now.

I know that isn't going to happen.

I know that this isn't over. I know that there are plenty of people standing in line to kill in vengeance for him, to kill in honor of him, and to kill just because that's what they've been trained to do. I know that the war continues and terror still lurks around the corner. So it isn't over.

But I want it to be.

For 10 years we have put his face as the target of our war. He attacked us. He wanted America to fall. He deserved to be brought to justice. And now he finally has been. Unfortunately, he was not alone.

It is ironic that last night I was washing dishes and let out a sigh of frustration as I realized I then had to grab a towel and start drying, saying to myself "it isn't fair that I have to cook AND wash dishes AND dry dishes." When Austin is home we have a very fair routine and trade off of responsibilities. It isn't fair that I have to do it all now. It isn't fair that I have to do it all alone.

And it is his fault. Austin joined the army just a few short months before the attacks on 9/11 and he was in basic training when they took place. So he was already committed to serving our country, though when he took the oath he truly had no idea what that would mean. It has meant blood, sweat and tears. It has meant time away from his family. It has meant missing his son's second year of his life. It has meant a huge amount of sacrifice. And it is his fault.

But, in everything there is a purpose. Austin and I got back in contact through his first deployment. A deployment that would not have happened if it weren't for him. We got in contact by my brother finding Austin's email address through an army network. My brother, who may not have joined the army if it weren't for him. His life was centered around building an evil empire and killing innocent lives for a purpose I will never understand, but my life wouldn't be what it is if his life hadn't been.

It's hard to look at something like this and even allow myself to think of a possible glimmer of positive reason. It's hard to admit that my life would not be what it is if it weren't for that evil, evil man. It's hard to even try to take a positive spin on something with such magnitude. But maybe it is good. Maybe the nearly 3,000 lives lost as a result of those attacks were not lost in vain. Maybe the thousands of troops we've lost over the last 10 years were fighting for a purpose. And maybe the world has been positively impacted through his demise.

There is still evil in this world. There is still terror and there is still threat. But yesterday our brave men in uniform, at the command of a multitude of leaders, took out one of the most evil forces on earth. And there is a glimmer of positivity. Maybe, just maybe, that life was used by God, despite all the evil he carried out, to lead to at least one positive thing. And I heard that positive thing breathing peacefully through his baby monitor as I listened to Obama's speech on TV.

May God bless and keep each and every troop who has served in order that we may see the fall of our attacker.

No comments:

Post a Comment