May 9, 2011

If I were a Material Girl

If I were a materialistic person, I'd say I'm really banking through this deployment. I mean, I am a spoiled little brat! Ok, I hope I'm not a brat. But I am pretty dang spoiled, and I'm pretty dang thankful for it :)

If I were a material girl I'd think it may be a decent trade to spend 9 months away from Austin when I get a beautiful and unique glass vase, a personalized pearl necklace (seriously go check out www.thevintagepearl.com Jennie got this for me, it was a feature on the Ellen show - I knew we shared interests) a massage gift card, a bath and body works gift set, 3 amethysts to have made into earrings and...necklace or ring???, and endless calls and texts. My phone was blowing up yesterday!

I'm not a material girl...so I would much prefer Austin over all of these things...but I think they are an excellent consolation prize given I don't have a choice :)

In all honesty though, I am so thankful for the love and support that I have. I can not imagine how I would handle the isolation and lonliness of going through this without my multitude of supporters. It's so humbling, almost embarassing, at the people who make a point to show their love and support for me. Embarassing because I am so incredibly amazed and touched. I can only hope that I have been, or will be, as supportive to each of them in their time of need. I know that no one is doing anything to receive anything in return, so I just hope that I am as loving and supportive when they need me to be.

William and I had a fantastic mother's day. I'm not going to lie, when I woke up at 6:00 my first thought was "I wish it wasn't mother's day". Then, when he woke up 15 minutes later (which is an hour early) screaming, my second thought was "I wish it wasn't mother's day". I mean how can I celebrate Mother's Day when the only person I'll see doesn't even have a clue what that means? Where is my breakfast in bed, my doting, my day of pampering and spoiling and getting whatever I want? But from the moment I picked him up and he laid his head on my shoulder to the moment I laid him back in his crib last night, we had a terrific day. We had a nice breakfast, a great picnic and trip to the park, he took a long nap giving me plenty of time to clean AND read my book, then we had fun playing and talking to daddy on webcam. We ended the night with a Chili's date (where he was on his best behavior!) and then cuddles before bed. Alexis hit the nail on the head in her text...William is the best mother's day present, and he proved that to me yesterday over and over again.

So from the bottom of my heart, thank you SO much for the love and support (and spoiling with gifts) that was poured out on me during this mother's day-season. It means the world to me. And I asked where my day for getting whatever I want is, but really...most days aren't too far off from that. Spoiled or blessed - whichever way you wanna look at it - I'm thankful.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Mother's Day!!! Sorry Austin wasn't there to celebrate with you...

    ReplyDelete