Aug 22, 2011

Harder choice than I thought

Friday we did our test driving. Knowing I WASN'T buying a vehicle that day made it very stress free and enjoyable. I'm glad we made the choice to do it this way. Then in December when the stressful part comes, I already know what I want and have the numbers worked in my head.

We started at Mazda and we found throughout the day that the foreign cars just don't have enough space. If my argument for a third row is that I need it for when grandparents or uncles/aunts come to visit, I kind of need room for their luggage too. But, the Mazda and the Volvo are beautiful - they just weren't hard to let go. This also threw out the Tahoe as once I saw how beautiful it was I opened the rear liftgate and saw how I couldn't put anything in there.

Then we went to Ford where I think the master salesman, Steve, was at work. First thing I saw when we got out of the truck was a gorgeous maroon explorer which happened to have every option ford offers. Enter steve. He walked over as I was fumbling around with the rear seats and started showing off all of the features of the back of the truck. Then he took me to the front where he showed me the heavenly parts. I would love to tell you all of the things it can do, but I think I could own it for 5 years and STILL not know what all it can do. Toys, toys, toys. Flash flash flash. But, after our test drive and we left the dealership I realized I didn't pay a lick of attention to how it drove because on our short drive around the block Steve had me mesmerized by all the toys. So I knew another drive would have to happen if I was going to consider it. Later though.

Onto GMC. Going into the day I almost wanted to forego the entire process, assuming the Acadia was going to win. We listened as the salesperson (not nearly as enthusiastic I must note) showed us all the buttons and features and aspects of the Acadia. We politely listened as he basically taught us how to use our own truck. Meaning the interior is roughly the same as it was 4 years ago when we bought Austin's truck. Not to sound like a diva or spoiled or anything like that, but come on - what exactly has GM been doing while other manufacturers have been beefing up the glitz and glam? I didn't want to make a decision on a CAR based on toys though, seeing as the purpose of a car is to DRIVE so we took her for a spin. And she was smoooooth. Great ride. I loved my trailblazer, and this was even better. I couldn't get past the fact though that for the top of the line, her interior left much to be desired. We decided that if we want a GM we should try the Buick enclave because the interior is much more luxurious and for roughly the same price as the competition, I don't want to feel like I settled. The GMC is the same price as the ford and the Buick is a few thousand more - but when talking about a vehicle that coats more than my salary my first year out of college, $2500 isn't much if it means the car I really want. If it's what I want, that is. We didn't drive the Buick though because the salesperson said the drive will feel the same just quieter and more luxurious - and I think my imagination can handle that for now.

As we drove away I commented for maybe the tenth time that day that none of them had the power and capability of Austin's truck, which I've grown accustomed to. He suggested we try the durango, as dodge is the only one offering a v8. I was sure I'd hate it because I used to think they were so ugly, but I didn't know they had redesigned it. And it was not only beautiful but it had the power I was looking for. Steering, acceleration, and power were all what I wanted. But it's a dodge - are the rumors of crappy transmissions true? Do I want to find out first hand? And do I need the power and towing capabilities?

So there they were. My list of 9 had come down to the ageless debate between American manufacturers. What is most important? The power, the ride, or the ability to live in my car?

We went home and talked about the options for awhile. We went back and forth, but it didn't take long to eliminate the dodge. Too many rumors and what's the point of risking that just for a v8 that will burn more gas? So, great car - just not for me.

I was at a stand still between the enclave and explorer though. How could I choose? The enclave has the captains chairs in the middle row which was one of my initial interest points, it drives very comfortably and smoothly. And I think of all of my 9 choices I like the body of the enclave the best. But I still wanted to try the explorer again. So after dinner we went to a different dealership and found a salesperson a little less enthusiastic and in your face.

And we also found that ford DOES offer middle row captains chairs. I Was almost sold. Not quite though.

I wasn't even sold when our new dealer told us the explorer can read text messages and reply. I wasn't even sold when I found that Ford has improved leaps and bounds in the comfort of the ride and that it felt almost as good as the rest, very slight differences. It was when the dealer told me that it could give me a live play-by-play of all of my favorite sports teams.

As I grinned as big as Texas I looked in the rearview mirror and saw Austin sink his head, saying 'I can't believe I'm going to own a ford'.

The verdict is almost in. I want to read more reviews on the safety of each and owners' comments on each, but I think ford has it. How can one compete with sports scores? It'd be tough to beat. My number one priority was size, which eliminated 6. From there, dodge and GM have a lot of work to do.

It was fun to see them all and make a choice purely on what peaked my interest. Unlike my family I have no loyalty to the ford motor company, and unlike my husband I have no loyalty to GM. but I do know how much he loves me that he was even willing to let me buy a foreign car! I guess a ford may just have to suffice :) and when he's getting texans and Astros and aggie updates I don't think I'll hear him complaining!!!

- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment