Aug 4, 2011

The psychology of a child

You never know how other people are being affected by life's challenges, especially when that other person can't talk.

I got a note in william's backpack last week saying that beginning august 15 and going through September the curriculum theme is 'all about me'. To help, the teachers asked parents to bring in their child's favorite books/toys/music/etc to be highlighted during their time.

William's two favorite stuffed animals are doggie and daddy doll, hands down. But doggie takes the cake and I didn't want home to go weeks without doggie. So, yesterday morning we took daddy doll to school. He was so proud carrying daddy down the hallway, the teachers even commented on how big his smile was while he held on tight to daddy. I then gave all the items to miss Cassie and went on my way.

This morning when I went in to get William I found 2 surprises. First, Nancy snuck her way into the crib that little devil



Second, William was searching for dada. He kept looking around his crib calling out his name. When I picked him up he reached back towards his crib, still saying dada. When he realized dada wasn't there he reached for the picture in the hallway. I set him down and he ran into the hall, stopped and reached toward the picture of austin.

When we got to school I told miss Cassie the story and she said I could take daddy doll home and she would just tell me what day she wanted to use it. She has to plan out her days for all 14 kids so she's got some coordinating to do! She also said that she gave William his daddy doll at nap time and he kept hugging and kissing him, then pointed to daddy's tummy and covered his eyes saying 'night night'. I guess he he thought daddy needed a nap too.

I had no idea that he would notice daddy doll's absence, and had no idea it would affect him so much. Maybe it brings him security like the website claims? Maybe he feels close to daddy when he sees him every morning? Or maybe today was just a fluke and he wouldn't notice tomorrow. I don't know and I won't know, because tomorrow morning daddy will be in his crib watching over him.



- manda

No comments:

Post a Comment